Small Talk is a full-service speech and language center, and is widely recognized for our work with preschool and school-aged children and their families. We have a conveniently located office in Greene County, Virginia, and we also offer home, school and daycare location sessions for the convenience of our clients.
At Small Talk, we teach effective communication skills for children, adults and families. Recognizing and prioritizing each person's unique learning style, we provide individual, client-specific goals in a friendly, fun environment. Our inspirational, supportive approach to individual learning ensures that mastering new skills is stimulating
Who We Are
Since 1998, Speech Language Pathologist Melanie Canada has helped children and adults with various needs in public schools, vocational high schools, private practice and early-intervention settings, medical facilities, as well as outpatient therapy centers.
Most recently, Melanie worked for nearly 10 years with preschool students at the Greene County Primary School, along with students in the classroom with Autism Spectrum Disorder at Ruckersville Elementary School in Greene County, Virginia. An active Greene County resident, wife, and mother of four, Melanie is licensed and certified:
• American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)certification.
• Virginia Department of Health Professions in Speech Language Pathology license.
• Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services license.
• University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland; Bachelor of Science degree in Hearing and Speech Sciences; graduated with honors.
• Gallaudet University, Washington, DC; Master of Science degree in Speech Language Pathology; received Graduate Writing and Research Reward.
Speech Language Pathology
"Melanie is caring, nurturing and enthusiastic when working with children. She has the instinctive knowledge and ability to meet each child at his/her individual level. My students always looked forward to their sessions with Miss Melanie!"
Rachel Silman, Teacher, Special Education - Autism
“As the parent of a child with apraxia you look to educate and surround yourself with professionals that can open your eyes to various therapies and strategies that will be most successful. In Melanie we have found an abundance of support, knowledge, professionalism and kindness... Our son has made leaps and bounds with his articulation and continues to improve. Thank you Melanie for the priceless work you have done, we are eternally grateful!”
Here are some helpful links to parent resources:
- American Speech and Hearing Association
- Greenspan's Floortime
- Apraxia Kids Home Page
- Mommy Speech Therapy
- Cure autism now
- Families for Early Autism Treatment
- National Stuttering Association
- Speech and Language Milestone Chart
- Specific, age-appropriate ideas for stimulating your child's language development